USDA and FHA Septic and Well guidelines
What are USDA and FHA septic and well distance requirements?
HUD Handbook 4000.1 determines the septic and well distance requirements for both USDA and FHA loans. This is a critical measurement which can determine the success of a transaction.
In today’s video, I will break down the USDA and FHA septic and well distance requirements and explain minimum property eligibility for both USDA and FHA loans.
However, don’t forget to download our USDA Blueprint for Success. This FREE guide is designed to help walk you through the USDA process step-by-step and is great for both Realtors and homebuyers alike!
What determines the well and septic distance requirements for USDA and FHA Loans?
USDA and FHA loans both follow HUD Handbook 4000.1 guidelines for minimum property conditions. This also includes the distance requirements for properties with a well and septic.
HUD Handbook minimum distance requirements between wells and sources of pollution for Existing Construction* are as follows:
- A well must be a minimum of 10 feet from the property line.
- A well must be a minimum of 50 feet from septic tank.
- A well must be a minimum of 100 feet from the drain field.
- However, this distance may be reduced to 75 feet if allowed by the local authority.
- If the property is adjacent to a residential property then local well distance requirements prevail.
- If the property is adjacent to non-residential property or roadway, then there needs to be a well separation distance of at least 10 feet from the property line.
- The distance requirements of the local authority will prevail if greater than what is stated in the HUD Handbook.
*Remember that this guidance is for existing properties only and different requirement will apply to new construction.
Planning ahead for USDA and FHA septic and well distance measurements
Generally, septic and well distances for USDA and FHA loans are not customarily measured until after the sales contract is received. Thus, it is critical to let us know of any upfront concerns so we can provide timely advice to help keep the transaction on track.
Don’t let the USDA and FHA distance requirements for well and septic overwhelm you… that’s what we are here for! While these properties may involve extra steps, our expertise is here to help open the door to homeownership!
Just call or email if you have any qualifying questions, want to discuss a new scenario, or would just like to take advantage of our free 2nd opinion service which is great for those existing transactions.
800-806-9836 Ext. 280
I want everyone to make it a great day, and look forward to seeing you right here for the next tip of the week!
P.S. – You can download our “USDA Blueprint for Success” by CLICKING HERE.